Monday, June 22, 2009

Coconut Soup

Michael and I spent our 21st anniversary in Logan. We had dinner at the Cafe Sabor, I didn't care much for my food, but what was so excellent was the coconut soup! I loved it so much that I asked for the recipe. This is what was sent to me. I know it is different because the soup had mushrooms in it and I could have sworn I tasted a bit of curry or cumin in it, not much but a hint of it.

This seems to be a good low carb recipe too so enjoy.

Cafe Sabor Coconut Soup
4 cups chicken stock
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, unpeeled, but chopped
10 green onions, finely chopped
6 small red chilies, finely chopped
2 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 limes (juice)
2 can (28 oz) coconut milk
1 cup heavy cream
Chicken Breast

1. Heat stock, ginger, onions, chilies, garlic. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add lime juice, and coconut milk. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
2. Sautee cubed chicken breast in seperate sauce pan.
3. Strain and return to the pan. Add chicken. Finely chop the cilantro leaves and add them to the soup with the cream. Warm through and serve

2 comments:

MomR said...

It does sound luscious. But like a lot of work too.

Tigersue said...

Actually not as much work as I have seen you put into other things you make. You buy cans of coconut milk, cans of chicken broth. Grill the chicken, or bake it while you are doing other stuff.

Michael and I working at it had it done in about 40 minutes. (that is the simmering time just about.) So not as bad as you would think.