Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lemon Drop Jelly

My mother gave me this recipe ages ago, like years ago. (I can't believe I said the word "like" in that sentence.) I have always wanted to try it and today I made it. So far it seems good, I only need to see if it will set up.
Lemon Drop Jelly
12 large lemons, I used about 14 or 15
1 box powdered Pectin, I used MPC
5 cups sugar
cut the lemons in half, juice and seed them. You want 5 cups of juice
Mix the juice and pectin in a large pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring to dissovle. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard for one minute stirring. Add 1-2 tsp of butter to reduce foaming. Ladle the jelly into, hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the jar rim clean. Place the lid on the jar with the sealing compound next to the glass. Screw the band down evenly and firmly, until fingertip tight. Process for five minutes in a boiling water canner.
I am bad about the processing time. I just flip the jars over for 10 minutes and then turn over. I have never had problems with my jams going bad because of the sugar and acid content. We eat it fast enough as it is. :)

No comments: